Luckily, there were three things that kept me going, between them generating enough hope that I would make it to the end of the week and be able to enjoy another weekend. One was the rain, or rather, the lack of it at while I ride my wonderful Dutch-style bike to and from work. I feel so lucky when, on any day rain is forecast, that I don't get wet on my commute. Three days a week that commute is 4 times a day as I ride home for lunch with my sweetie. Riding that bicycle, even in the rain, still makes me smile. I truly wish everyone could be so happy on a bicycle. Maybe it's because I smile that the rain stops for my little commute. I'd like to think so anyway.
February 11, 2012
Short Work Weeks
I may have mentioned that I work a modified work week, or, flexible work week, which when shortened becomes I have a "flex day" every so often. I am still relatively new to this schedule and feel I have been in the 'honeymoon phase' of my relationship with it. That is, until recently. I say that because while this past Monday was my 'flex' day, and I really enjoyed staying at home doing whatever I wanted, the rest of week seemed to go by with all the speed of a ... well, a slug. Honestly, it was the longest short week I have ever worked (okay, maybe not ever)! I was tired, and my muscles hurt just a little bit. I couldn't seem to catch up enough on my sleep. And, to top it all off, it was busy, busy, busy at work. No rest for the wicked, as they say. I just never considered myself one of the wicked. Maybe I was fighting a bug. Anyway, it's over!
Luckily, there were three things that kept me going, between them generating enough hope that I would make it to the end of the week and be able to enjoy another weekend. One was the rain, or rather, the lack of it at while I ride my wonderful Dutch-style bike to and from work. I feel so lucky when, on any day rain is forecast, that I don't get wet on my commute. Three days a week that commute is 4 times a day as I ride home for lunch with my sweetie. Riding that bicycle, even in the rain, still makes me smile. I truly wish everyone could be so happy on a bicycle. Maybe it's because I smile that the rain stops for my little commute. I'd like to think so anyway.
Two, is the daylight. Have you noticed how much earlier the sun rises in the morning now, and how much later it sets in the evening? I still turn my bike lights on, but I now leave and come home in the daylight. In fact, on Friday, I managed to run two errands on the way home and STILL arrived home in the daylight. Love it. Spring has sprung - at least in my mind.
The third is my handy, dandy Zippo Deluxe Hand Warmer (yet another wonderful gift from my sweetie). I fill it up and light just before I go out the door in the morning, tuck into my pocket and take it with me almost everywhere I go. All day. You see, my workspace is quite lovely really, but the temperature is just a tad lower than is comfortable for me to sit and still be warm all the way to my extremities. The hand warmer cures that pain. It is a very comfortable, even warmth. And that makes me smile. My lower back has been bothering me a bit lately, so I just tuck the warmer inside my skirt and tights right over the spot where the muscles are in spasm, and it helps relax them. I don't take the warmer with me to yoga class, because most of time I get enough of a workout to keep me plenty warm. And I certainly don't need it during my squash games.
Luckily, there were three things that kept me going, between them generating enough hope that I would make it to the end of the week and be able to enjoy another weekend. One was the rain, or rather, the lack of it at while I ride my wonderful Dutch-style bike to and from work. I feel so lucky when, on any day rain is forecast, that I don't get wet on my commute. Three days a week that commute is 4 times a day as I ride home for lunch with my sweetie. Riding that bicycle, even in the rain, still makes me smile. I truly wish everyone could be so happy on a bicycle. Maybe it's because I smile that the rain stops for my little commute. I'd like to think so anyway.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
What a great collection of items you have here! That hand warmer is fantastic! Where can I get one - for Doug?! His hands get so cold kayaking.
R - they are available at MEC, as is the lighter fluid. Beautiful aren't
t they? And, so wonderfully practical.
Post a Comment